• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TMax

TMax

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Sex, motor bikes, travel, sex, cars, gardening, sex, movies, reading and sex

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

No longer in just certain areas anymore, they have banned street food in all of Bangkok now, in my view it's just madness.

http://www.nationmul...tional/30312543

STREET FOOD vendors will disappear from Bangkok by the end of the year in the interests of cleanliness, safety and order, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) says.

In the capital, which is internationally recognised for its street food, famous locations such as Chinatown/Yaowarat and Khao San Road would be cleared of vendors in a bid to beautify Bangkok.

A month after the city was named the finest street food destination in the world by CNN for the second year, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) continued its operation to reclaim the pavements for pedestrians and announced that vendors would be banned entirely from the capital’s streets.

“The BMA is now working to get rid of the street vendors from all 50 districts of Bangkok and return the pavements to the pedestrians. Yaowarat and Khao San Road will be our next goal in clearing out illegal vendors,” Wanlop said.

#2 Alexx

Alexx

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:30 AM

I'll believe that once I can see it with my own eyes.

#3 TMax

TMax

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Sex, motor bikes, travel, sex, cars, gardening, sex, movies, reading and sex

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

From what I've read and heard it's already started in some areas

#4 ChristianPFC

ChristianPFC

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

Unrealistic. A belated April joke. Would cause as much trouble as changing the side of driving. If they go on, there will be a huge public outcry, could even start a civil war.

I applaud the clearing of sidewalk in Silom and some other areas, where only overpriced crap was sold to tourists. (Easy to detect: markets for locals have prices posted. As soon as a wendor wields his electronic calculator and hammers in a number, you know you are going to be overcharged.)

But street food is necessary, for millions to get a cheap and quick meal, and for ten or hundred thousands who work as cooks or waiters.

#5 Gwydion62

Gwydion62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

The story is not true.
They are zoning and checking cleanliness, safety etc but street food is NOT banned.

#6 steveboy

steveboy

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

A few years back they nicely paved some streets near Babylon sauna.  I welcomed the action but in no time the sidewalks were full of vendor stands, plants and other junk.  I wish the street vendors much luck, but sidewalks should be cleared enough to allow one to walk on them throughout instead of having to step on the busy streets.

#7 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

, but sidewalks should be cleared enough to allow one to walk on them throughout instead of having to step on the busy streets.

sanitizes version is what we have in our own cities and if Bangkok will start copying Western standards where will be need to travel that far if all exotics will be gone ?

For me that the whole point of Bankok allure, delicious food is just a bonus to crowded sidewalks. Can't imagine walking from Tawan to soi Twilight without trying at least 2-3 pieces of pork on bamboo sticks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users