Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

From The Nation

91485c463f82b11c456dd2256cb5acf3.jpeg

Breaking News July 23, 2017 14:19

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to fill the 'TM6' arrival and departure form as part of measures to improve immigration procedure at airports, reduce waiting time and long queues.

A Cabinet resolution had allowed use of the old TM6 form with two separate sections for arrival and departure to be used until September 30. This followed a request from the Ministry of Tourism and Sport's to adjust the new form in order to help the ministry to get information for analysing and planning tourism marketing strategies. The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

http://www.nationmul...ngnews/30321551

#2 Alexx

Alexx

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

They should get rid of that nonsense entirely. Not even Communist Vietnam has it.

#3 fedssocr

fedssocr

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

but "Communist Vietnam" also requires actual visas for a lot more places too

#4 reader

reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

Can non-communist Vietnam keep them?

#5 hanan

hanan

Associate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

Can non-communist Vietnam keep them?

Sorry to disappoint you but non-communist Vietnam lost the war and doesn't exist anymore...

#6 Timelord

Timelord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:50 AM

The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

http://www.nationmul...ngnews/30321551

Yes, by the 1st of October, but which year?

#7 reader

reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:03 AM

Sorry to disappoint you but non-communist Vietnam lost the war and doesn't exist anymore...

The hell you say!

#8 Alexx

Alexx

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

If I understand their plans correctly, they just want to change the card from two parts (arrival and departure) that need to be filled in to a single part. Apparently there will still be a second part that goes into the passport and needs to be returned at departure time, but it will just have a barcode (no information to be filled in).

That's progress, alright, but other than for answering the silly TAT questions, they could really just scan the passport and put a sticker with the permission of stay and their beloved barcode / arrival card number in the passport. The Japanese stickers are neat, they could just copy their design. That would speed things up considerably, especially with those tourists who are unable to fill in the cards without help.

In other words, I would not only get rid of arrival cards, but also of rubber stamps. THAT would be "Thailand 4.0". ;)

#9 colmx

colmx

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

lets hope at least that the new TM cards are passport sized and fit neatly inside your passport - like those of neighbouring countries! 

#10 reader

reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

In an article in The Nation about the DMK immigration debacle, the following images of the new immigration card appeared.

9ce567f17da9bd6c62af3df5267613ef.jpeg

http://www.nationmul...tional/30323246

#11 colmx

colmx

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:24 AM

Looks like the new form is actually looking for more information than the previous one...

That's a GREAT way to improve efficiency in Immigration!

#12 spoon

spoon

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

Many places already eliminated this card already.... and the thai still think they need a new form instead?! Really don't understand their logic. I guess someone is making a lot of money as the sole printing company who provide services to print this for the thai gov.

#13 Gaybutton

Gaybutton

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:17 AM

Really don't understand their logic.

Logic?  In Thailand?  Surely you jest.

I don't know what happens if you lose your departure card.  Maybe they don't let you leave . . .

#14 traveller123

traveller123

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

A couple of experiences of not having a departure card both involving Don Muang.

The first time I noticed when I got home in Isaan after arriving through Don Muang that my departure card was missing.

I sorted it by visiting my nearest Immigaration Office at Kap Choeng who gave me a new departure card with an explanation written on it in Thai why the serial numbers didnt tie up. When I next left Thailand through BKK there were no problems.

Second time a lady in front of me in departures at DM asked me if I knew what would happen as she had lost her card.

I told her I didn't know, she presented her passport and was waved through.

I don't know if this would always be the case, perhaps it depends how awake the Officer is, although I suspect it is a common occurance.

#15 PeterRS

PeterRS

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

If I understand their plans correctly, they just want to change the card from two parts (arrival and departure) that need to be filled in to a single part. Apparently there will still be a second part that goes into the passport and needs to be returned at departure time, but it will just have a barcode (no information to be filled in).

Not according to the sample posted by reader above. The departure card still needs to be filled in. It is very similar to the entry card in Japan. But why oh why do they leave such a tiny space for address? Anyone living here in Thailand will be quite unable to put in his full address (same on the present card, though)!

Totally agree that arrival/departure cards are way out of date now. Sadly entry stamps in the passport are probably here to stay for years. Isnt it the only way if a cop can tell if you are overstaying?

#16 Jasper

Jasper

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

Telephone number and E-mail address ?
Why?

#17 reader

reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Today's Nationmultimeda site published an updated article on new immigration card with an improved view of flip side.  Overall, it does appear to seek more data in smaller spaces on a single piece of card stock instead of the current hinged two pieces. How this will expedite immigration queues I haven't a clue.

cc3b544410f3d7991daf9a92fba08453.jpeg

http://www.nationmul...tional/30323322

#18 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

card is non issue for me , after all while Europe does not use it,  both US and Canada do although for arrivals only.

Place this in your passport and guard with it but pay attention every time you pull your passport - to register in the hotel or exchanging money as those are moments when one may lose departure card.

#19 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Telephone number and E-mail address ?
Why?

to keep you busy during long flight I guess

#20 Promsak

Promsak

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

From tonight's online newspaper:

Thai nationals will no longer have to fill out departure or arrival cards before passing through immigration counters at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports from Oct 1, part of a raft of new measures to tackle overcrowding at Bangkok's air gateways.

And:

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said Wednesday there was talk of scrapping the form entirely but the Tourism Ministry lobbied for its retention for non-Thais.

I have a feeling that I'm not allowed to post a link to the Bangkek paper with the Article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users