reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

From Pattaya Mail

1258-n8-Railway-1.jpg

An artist’s rendering of what the new rail line might look like. The State Railway of Thailand next month will request 28 billion baht to construct a high-speed train line linking Pattaya with the region’s three main airports.

PATTAYA – The State Railway of Thailand next month will request 28 billion baht to construct a high-speed train line linking Pattaya with the region’s three main airports.

Chonburi Deputy Gov. Phawat Lertmukhda chaired an Aug. 30 public hearing at the Asia Hotel about the project connecting U-Tapao-Rayong-Pattaya Airport with Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang.

SRT development director Julthep Jithasombat said the agency will set forth its formal plan at a meeting next month and make the budget request under the government’s Eastern Economic Corridor project.

If approved, construction would begin in 2018 with the line opening in 2022.

The planned route calls for a standard-gauge set of tracks to run from Don Mueang to the terminus of the existing Airport Rail Link in Makkhasan, Bangkok, to Suvarnabhumi and through Chachoengsao and Chonburi to Pattaya, U-Tapao and Rayong.

Continues with map

http://www.pattayama...line-oct-185487

#2 Dalewood

Dalewood

Associate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

The bus gets me two blocks from jomtien . I bet the train station will be a pain in the ass to get to.

#3 ChristianPFC

ChristianPFC

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

These trains project pop up now and then, just the like the crackdowns on jet-ski scams. Sometimes it's the rail line through Lao to China, sometimes double track to Malaysia, sometimes Pattaya to airport, but nothing happens.

#4 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

on anothar hand I remeber from yeras ago plans to built new airport / Swamy /  wehn annpounced invited thensam eking of comments and still here we are 

#5 FASAJIP

FASAJIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Living in Thaïland since 15 years. Ear and read the same since 15 years... So : wait and see (perhaps...)

#6 Gaybutton

Gaybutton

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

We've been hearing about high speed rail links for years.  So far, all talk and no action.  For me, it's another one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" kinds of things. 

Dalewood said, "I bet the train station will be a pain in the ass to get to."  If the rail link is actually built that may very well happen.  But even so, it might be worth the trouble.  I drive to and from Bangkok fairly often.  The expressway is unpredictable.  You never know when there will be traffic jams, except of course during holidays when you can count on them.

Just yesterday I drove to Bangkok on the expressway, Rte. 7.  There was a traffic jam going toward Pattaya from Bangkok that was a good 6km long.  If you're going into Bangkok, not long after passing the airport you can almost always expect a 15 to 30 minute traffic jam at a toll station for a lousy 25 baht.

I returned to Pattaya today.  No problem at all on the expressway going to Pattaya.  But there was a huge traffic jam going toward Bangkok. 

And then, once you're in Bangkok, the traffic is a nightmare.

So even if the train station is a pain to get to, I'd rather endure that pain than the traffic jams.  I would take the rail link to Suvarnabhumi and then the train into town from there.

#7 stijntje

stijntje

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted Today, 06:49 PM

I wouldn't consider the train. A private taxi for 1.200 baht is fine for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users