20 replies to this topic

#1 muscfair

muscfair

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Don't go here. Captain dishonest, boys ordinary.

Charge old Hero prices.

#2 Kingcruise

Kingcruise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

I have to agree. I was really looking forward to this place but after 3 visits it's a definite pass as it actually got a little worse each time and I actually felt that if I even got on to some of the gym equipment I'd get hired myself! 

Similar disappointment with  Tawan.

Trip report to come in a few days with hopefully a new perspective on some of these places that will be particularly useful for first time Westerners and what to expect relative to Europe and South America.

Sorry but it's Viva Brazil and Barcelona for me going forward but as a tourist visiting attractions I've certainly enjoyed it including the beautiful islands off the coast of Phuket. But don't get me started on that town either! ha-ha... that's to come...

#3 santosh108

santosh108

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

POPULAR

After seeing so many posts about Arena mostly favorable or at least neutral, it is a bit startling and surprising to read such a blunt unpleasant post which seems to be a broad generalization with no specific details.  This is not a very helpful contribution to this forum.  If you had one or more bad experiences at Arena, it would be useful to give at least some details presented in a factual way so that we could judge for ourselves if this is the would be a massage place that we would enjoy visiting or prefer avoiding.

Unless there is more specific info to follow, I will totally disregard your comments.

#4 reader

reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

POPULAR

Many members have reported unsatisfactory massage experiences around Bangkok in this forum and they always cite their reasons.  As Sanitosh says, this allows members to evaluate them and form their own opinion.

Arena is perhaps the most reviewed massage place and has earned, in the opinion of many, as a shop where you can find value, selection and reliability. My experiences at Arena have all been positive but I occasionally read that it has disappointed others. That happens at any shop from time to time when you're dealing with personal services of this nature. 

There's nothing wrong with posting an unfavorable review.  But when you just toss out a charge of cheating, fairness demands that you explain yourself if you expect to be taken seriously.

#5 emailbroken

emailbroken

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

Don't go here. Captain dishonest, boys ordinary.

Charge old Hero prices.

This goes against the trend of what people say about the place here.  Additional information would help other members of the board.  

#6 TMax

TMax

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Sex, motor bikes, travel, sex, cars, gardening, sex, movies, reading and sex

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

Can't say I've seen any of that in my visits, place is a bit old sure but the boys on offer were for the most part buff and quite reasonable looking and the service given for massage and afters was well worth what I paid.

#7 muscfair

muscfair

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

I had written a long post before my connection was cut off and i lost my post. so i had to write a short one out of frustration as i use one finger to type with my tablet in bangkok. hope i don't lose this again.

The experience i had were completely different from what i read here.

Boys:

Most of the boys are just fit/small muscled and not as muscular as the ones at old HERO. 

There are only around 20 boys at 7 pm, far cry from 50-100 boys at old Hero.

Captain:

Captain demanded 700 baht for oil massage instead of 590 as stated in menu. I have to pay upfront.

Minimum tip was 1000 baht but different from the 800 baht stated on menu.

He secretly told the boy mai ben rai if boy don't do what i requested in thai, even though i did request it before agreeing.

Little did he know that my thai have improved a lot to be able to understand.

Captain was pushy and didn't allow me to select carefully so i had to settle with somebody less ideal and i stayed only one night in bangkok. Captain avoided me from questioning further about the attributes of the boys.

My experience at old Hero was 100 times better. unfortunately, it's closed down.

more later.

#8 Alizizou

Alizizou

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

If u want muscular type just go to Tawan LOL

#9 forky123

forky123

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

I’ve got to say I’m a bit confused about the comparison between Arena and old Hero. From memory 20 guys is a lot of guys at Arena, I don’t remember usually seeing that many. Also, 1700 baht really seems a pretty ok deal, though I understand if they are showing different prices how that might annoy you. Old Hero was not that cheap though I struggle to remember the correct prices. Arena was never a favorite for me like Old Hero and Adonis were but when I did go it was always in the lower mid range price wise and 1700 baht seems a pretty good deal to me.

#10 spoon

spoon

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Nope, arena isnt supposed to be compared to the old heroes, maybe u want to compare it to the new hero instead. But there are some guys there who used to work in old heroes and now working at arena. Depends on what time u were there, the muscular one might be already with a customer or not working yet. Its always a good practice to call ahead with a booking if u want the famous ones. From the many reviews here, u probably can picked up a few names to try.

#11 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

POPULAR

Obviously OP is frustrated big time with something there  as "100 times better " comment is exaggeration in any case, not only massage places.

700 for 1 hr massage and 1000 minimum tip were  old Hero charges and I'm one who was one on their last clients on their last day of business, reported here in the forum.

One may not like boys on display , either because their built or low number but this is not reason to a discourage visit, 20 is quite a good number and 50 crowded behind the glass at Hero were only confusing as which one is candidate for that dream boy, after all we need just only one.

Nothing wrong with ordinary looking , not everybody  is fan of big muscled boys and perhaps lot of us are wary of god like adonises as they may be inclined to behave diva-like so boy next door type will do for many , particularly if smiling  and bulging.

Usually they have enough muscled guys  but if one had bad luck with boys look on one visit it can't be held against the place, it's just bad luck. 

Beginning with 2001 when Arena was new place , throughout my 16  to trips to  last Sept I was there at least 30-40 times , in  case of almost every trip  it was my first massage place I went to , offed few boys from there long time , including one  5 times .

While from time to time were some issues  with cleanliness the place at old location downstairs, suspicion that their oil is causing rash and odd request for an inflated tip by offed boy I never had  bad massage there ( one by Fai I count among my 5 best ever) nor boy with attitude problem, never was shortchanged on time neither by offs from there nor by massage boys, few times they  waved off fee or did not charge for extra massage time.

Other than being reprimended once by mamasan for coming too late ( but still served ) I never had issue with him either.

Certainly never charged more than list price and never was informed about minimum tip other than stated on price list. Can't recall even one instance I was asked to pay for massage up front, rare thing in Bangkok anyways.,

To this day Arena  and Senso are only places when I have still a bit of youthful heart beat on approach.

So having all that experience spanning so many years reading muscfair  both posts had me scalp scratching to a blood.

Only possible explanations I can come with are that we weren't told everything  / yet ? / or mamsan there  took muscfair for somebody else who caused problems there or for him before and decided to get back at him. 

Not unknown to science, few times I was welcomed in various places ' welcome back , I remember you from last year ' , including even boy offed by me long time who wanted to go with me to DJ Station ' just like last time ", problem being , I never been to DJ Station neither with him nor anybody else.

And by the way , old Hero is gone. It had own fans , including myself but frustrating ourselves with comparisons to the place  leads nowhere, specially if one can find consolation in other places.

For little old me Arena is  one of them and , sorry other medalists Senso and Bangkok Massage, first in line.    

#12 muscfair

muscfair

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

I’ve got to say I’m a bit confused about the comparison between Arena and old Hero. From memory 20 guys is a lot of guys at Arena, I don’t remember usually seeing that many. Also, 1700 baht really seems a pretty ok deal, though I understand if they are showing different prices how that might annoy you. Old Hero was not that cheap though I struggle to remember the correct prices. Arena was never a favorite for me like Old Hero and Adonis were but when I did go it was always in the lower mid range price wise and 1700 baht seems a pretty good deal to me.

I have been to Arena Massage many years ago before I found old Hero and stopped going to Arena.

At that time, the charges and tips at Arena were lower than old Hero but  so were the quality of boys so I can understand.

The boys in Arena are just not as muscular as boys at old Hero.

If Arena wants to raise the prices today,  why not put the new price into the menu?

or Do they charge different customers different prices? that's considered cheating because you can arbitrarily change the amount.

Somebody in this forum told me the old Hero boys moved here so this isn't true.

Maybe some of the owners are actually members here who gave wrong info to customers.

The captains at old Hero and other massage places are so much more patient and less pushy..

There was not even a glass of water offered to me during selection.

#13 muscfair

muscfair

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

Obviously OP is frustrated big time with something there  as "100 times better " comment is exaggeration in any case, not only massage places.

700 for 1 hr massage and 1000 minimum tip were  old Hero charges and I'm one who was one on their last clients on their last day of business, reported here in the forum.

One may not like boys on display , either because their built or low number but this is not reason to a discourage visit, 20 is quite a good number and 50 crowded behind the glass at Hero were only confusing as which one is candidate for that dream boy, after all we need just only one.

Nothing wrong with ordinary looking , not everybody  is fan of big muscled boys and perhaps lot of us are wary of god like adonises as they may be inclined to behave diva-like so boy next door type will do for many , particularly if smiling  and bulging.

Usually they have enough muscled guys  but if one had bad luck with boys look on one visit it can't be held against the place, it's just bad luck. 

Beginning with 2001 when Arena was new place , throughout my 16  to trips to  last Sept I was there at least 30-40 times , in  case of almost every trip  it was my first massage place I went to , offed few boys from there long time , including one  5 times .

While from time to time were some issues  with cleanliness the place at old location downstairs, suspicion that their oil is causing rash and odd request for an inflated tip by offed boy I never had  bad massage there ( one by Fai I count among my 5 best ever) nor boy with attitude problem, never was shortchanged on time neither by offs from there nor by massage boys, few times they  waved off fee or did not charge for extra massage time.

Other than being reprimended once by mamasan for coming too late ( but still served ) I never had issue with him either.

Certainly never charged more than list price and never was informed about minimum tip other than stated on price list. Can't recall even one instance I was asked to pay for massage up front, rare thing in Bangkok anyways.,

To this day Arena  and Senso are only places when I have still a bit of youthful heart beat on approach.

So having all that experience spanning so many years reading muscfair  both posts had me scalp scratching to a blood.

Only possible explanations I can come with are that we weren't told everything  / yet ? / or mamsan there  took muscfair for somebody else who caused problems there or for him before and decided to get back at him. 

Not unknown to science, few times I was welcomed in various places ' welcome back , I remember you from last year ' , including even boy offed by me long time who wanted to go with me to DJ Station ' just like last time ", problem being , I never been to DJ Station neither with him nor anybody else.

And by the way , old Hero is gone. It had own fans , including myself but frustrating ourselves with comparisons to the place  leads nowhere, specially if one can find consolation in other places.

For little old me Arena is  one of them and , sorry other medalists Senso and Bangkok Massage, first in line.    

Are you one of the owners at Arena masquerading  as a regular 'customer'.

I've been to many massage places in Bangkok and Chiang Mai during the past 10 years and qualified to evaluate a place.

Treating customers with different price isn't practised in massage places in Thailand. There's a min tip.

If a customer isn't desirable, the place has the right not to provide any service instead of 'getting back' at customer.

So stop insulting that i'm a trouble maker, instead you should try to improve your captain's attitude and owners' attitude and boys' quality .  Customer feedback is important.

Arena isn't even anywhere close to old Hero,

#14 jonna

jonna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Are you one of the owners at Arena masquerading as a regular 'customer'.

I've been to many massage places in Bangkok and Chiang Mai during the past 10 years and qualified to evaluate a place.

Treating customers with different price isn't practised in massage places in Thailand. There's a min tip.

If a customer isn't desirable, the place has the right not to provide any service instead of 'getting back' at customer.

So stop insulting that i'm a trouble maker, instead you should try to improve your captain's attitude and owners' attitude and boys' quality . Customer feedback is important.

Thailand is a free market economy. Everyone can choose to have service according to their own preferences. If Arena is not as good as old Hero, then stop taking their service. But you should not insult others just because they are satisfied with Arena.

#15 ct2005

ct2005

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

I think Prince is one of the few massage places that collect the massage fee upfront.

#16 stijntje

stijntje

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

I've only been a couple of times in LOS, but every time I went to Arena, I was happy about my Arena experience. A lot of masseurs to choose from, good quality massages, fair pricing. I'll certainly will go back!

#17 traveller123

traveller123

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hi Vinapu

If you are the owner of Arena (you wish) how about a big discount for forum members.

And consider buy one get one free

And opening a branch in deepest Isaan (perhaps not, it would only get me into trouble with my better half)

#18 finally

finally

Associate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

I had written a long post before my connection was cut off and i lost my post. so i had to write a short one out of frustration as i use one finger to type with my tablet in bangkok. hope i don't lose this again.

The experience i had were completely different from what i read here.

Boys:

Most of the boys are just fit/small muscled and not as muscular as the ones at old HERO. 

There are only around 20 boys at 7 pm, far cry from 50-100 boys at old Hero.

Captain:

Captain demanded 700 baht for oil massage instead of 590 as stated in menu. I have to pay upfront.

Minimum tip was 1000 baht but different from the 800 baht stated on menu.

He secretly told the boy mai ben rai if boy don't do what i requested in thai, even though i did request it before agreeing.

Little did he know that my thai have improved a lot to be able to understand.

Captain was pushy and didn't allow me to select carefully so i had to settle with somebody less ideal and i stayed only one night in bangkok. Captain avoided me from questioning further about the attributes of the boys.

My experience at old Hero was 100 times better. unfortunately, it's closed down.

more later.

If a place asks for more than stated on the menue I would not accept.,It is not a matter of a few 100B more but a matter of principle. Besides I would not accept that a "captain" does not give me enough time to choose and tries to harress me to take a guy I do not really want. At the end of the day y r a CUSTOMER and You decide what you want to buy. I would have told him in front of the other guys that I understood what he said in Thai (losing face for him) and would have left. NO BARGAINING...there are so many other fish in the pond. I ve lived in BKK longtime and I always knew how to deal with this kind of "captains" or "mamasans"...Never had any problem with a massage guy, I consider myself to be a generous person.. BTW This situation reminds me of an old joke: The devil and a tuc tuc driver had a son...he chose to work  as a mamason

#19 DivineMadman

DivineMadman

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

I was at Arena not too long ago.  I certainly had no negative experiences.  Manager was fine/polite. I got charged the price on the menu and paid after.  I'm comfortable recommending it as long as people understand the focus there is on muscles, maybe bigger a tad older, not so much model good-looks.  

People can have different experiences, and we never really know how much is attributable to the individual.  I think the best thing to do is heavily discount the outlier reviews.  It's ok - I assume everyone can (and should) ignore my off-the-charts praise of Baantewa.  Reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

#20 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

Are you one of the owners at Arena masquerading  as a regular 'customer'.

So stop insulting that i'm a trouble maker, instead you should try to improve your captain's attitude and owners' attitude and boys' quality .  Customer feedback is important.

No, I'm not the owner although like traveller123 noticed above I wish, no doubt free service would be perk of ownership.

Nobody questions your qualification to rate the place , neither sincerity of your report nor the fact that you left Arena upset. But fact that if was only after one visit caused me and few others to state that different , much happier outcome can be had there.  

At no place in my post I implied that you are trouble maker, nor questioned validity of your complains.

My apologies for upsetting you with my audacity to state that my experiences from Arena were completely different but I did it in the name of fairness  to a place I always left more or less / usually very, very / happy.

Hope that some credibility I have in this forum helps to provide balanced view to those not familiar with that venue.

Only thing I definitely would not  agree is blaming Arena for fault of not being the old HERO which seems to be dominating  theme in your complain and source of your bitter disappointment .

Even new Hero, MyHero is not so far of what old Hero was.

Yes, after Hero ceased operation some boys including mamasans  moved to Arena but nobody ever claimed it were all of them or that they stay there permanently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users