#1 reader

reader

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

From Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Business owners say they are unable to find Thai employees to staff service jobs and are urging the government to relax its restrictions on foreign employees.

The Group of Entrepreneurs with Foreign Workers said they would take an online petition to the labor ministry this month ask that Laotian, Burmese and Cambodian workers be allowed to work legally in two of the 39 occupations forbidden to foreigners.

“The problem is we can’t find any Thais who want to do these jobs,” the group’s Piphooake Sakullim said. “It’s not like we’re leaving behind Thais. But when you put up a sign asking for an extra worker for six months, and no one applies, how is your business supposed to go on?”

“I always give Thais the chance for a job first, but they’re really hard to find. They leave after a little bit. Therefore, I want to give hardworking aliens a chance for an occupation,” reads one of several dozens signs shown.

http://www.khaosoden...-owners-demand/

Link to list of occupations that foreigners are not permitted to perform:

http://www.mol.go.th...ntent/page/6347

#2 abang1961

abang1961

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

I believe it is a global trend for transmigration of workers. 

There is always this nudging need to find greener pasture elsewhere.

There are many pull factors - better job prospects, better pay, better living conditions, acceptance of different lifestyle etc.

Here in Singapore, we face a shortage of manual laborers and lowly skilled workers as education standards gone up and most are unwilling to do the more mundane jobs - sales and service are the worst hit sectors.  

Back in the 80s and 90s, many Thais came to work in construction industry. 

It was a gay man's haven to have so many choices then (of course I wasn't queuing up for them)

However, they all left and now we only have those from China and Indian Sub-continent. 

#3 z909

z909

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

I see a couple of sides to this. 

Any company that's prepared to pay more than the going rate can poach workers from other companies, so salary increases should be part of the supply & demand mechanism.   

Of course, in some professions, the companies moan & get an influx of workers, which is tough on domestic workers.   In other professions, the professional bodies somehow manage to restrict the supply, so their own members remain well paid.   That's a general assessment, not just aimed at Thailand.  

I would ask, is there really a shortage of workers, or is it a shortage who are prepared to work for the pittance the specific employers expect to pay in a country ?

Thailand has a low birth rate & expects population decline.   Just over the border is Cambodia, with a very high birth rate & people who follow the same religion. Therefore, they might integrate perfectly into Thai society within a generation, if given the opportunity.   I think there is a very good argument for managed immigration from Cambodia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users