#41 paborn

paborn

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

Yes, that's the one.

Paborn, I access Silom Complex directly from upstairs at the Sala Daeng BTS station. Look for Canyon Coffee.

Thanks! When I google Silom Complex I get a spot all the way down by that Canal - whatever it's name is.

#42 ceejay

ceejay

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

I would love to eat street food but having seen how they "wash" the plates in that filthy water (which is probably never changed by the look of it), I only eat in restaurants.

The water that looks filthy is usually brown because it is - tea!! It is a natural disinfectant which is why it is used.

#43 a447a

a447a

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

What about the various food scraps floating in the tea? That's also a turn-off for me.

And I also worry about that may that has been sitting out in the sun for God knows how long.

At the end of the day, it's probably safe. I have actually eaten at the Sunday night food market in Chiang Mai.

But when I'm on holiday the last thing I want is to get food poisoning. It's just not worth the risk.

#44 paborn

paborn

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

But when I'm on holiday the last thing I want is to get food poisoning. It's just not worth the risk.

Exactly! Why take the risk? I seldom disagree with Vinapu but when he advised that a poster should try and when they see that they don't get sick...

Sorry, On a two-week vacation I don't want to get sick. When I say that I eat street food it's always something grilled where the bacteria is killed by the heat.

#45 ChristianPFC

ChristianPFC

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:23 PM

Also I worry the vegetables are cleaned with tab water which we can not drink at all as farang, we will get ill. I am pretty sure they don't clean it with botled water.

I have been drinking tap water everywhere in South-East Asia for years (Bangkok and various other places in Thailand; Vientiane, Luang Phrabang, Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Yangon, Mandalay, even river water in the mountains in Myanmar and Thailand) and did not get sick.

That leads to a note from my recent (Aug-Sep2018) trip to Myanmar. The small ceramic tea cups are kept open side down in a stainless steel pot on the table. That pot contained some water, maybe 5 mm high. Upon closer inspection, I saw some sediment in that water and two small (about 2 mm long) water beetles swimming around. That can only lead to one conclusion: if the water is safe for the beetles to swim in, it is safe for me to drink (or in this case, get traces of the water from the rim of the cup on my lips).

The vegetables and plates in street restaurants are washed with tap water. I have never seen tea to wash dishes, only tap water with soap, and then tap water without soap.

#46 paborn

paborn

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:38 PM

Upon closer inspection, I saw some sediment in that water and two small (about 2 mm long) water beetles swimming around. That can only lead to one conclusion: if the water is safe for the beetles to swim in, it is safe for me to drink (or in this case, get traces of the water from the rim of the cup on my lips).

I would not be too sure about that. What you're saying might be true if the question is about actually, non-potable - contaminated water. But, the real issue with traveler's upset stomachs and diarrhea is water born flora and fauna that the traveler is unused to. 

Considering sparse vacation time the person is better safe than sorry. 

#47 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:20 AM

Thanks! When I google Silom Complex I get a spot all the way down by that Canal - whatever it's name is.

that's the Silom Plaza perhaps , on corner of Silom and Narathiwas.

It's where Arena is so no harm done if you mix up those two  :Complex and Plaza

#48 paborn

paborn

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

I have eaten dinner at Bruno's twice, admittedly a few years ago, a both times there were very few customers meaning there was no atmosphere.

My two favourites for a special evening are Cafe Des Amis and Au Bon Coin.

The latter my hubby has chosen for his birthday dinner on the 11th November

These 3 places, where are they please?

#49 bobsaigon

bobsaigon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

Bruno's Restaurant & Wine Bar

Website

Directions

4.4148 Google reviews

Restaurant

Address: 306/63 Chateau Dale Plaza Thappraya Rd, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand

Hours:

Reservations: brunos-pattaya.com

Order: brunos-pattaya.com

Phone: +66 38 119 586

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cafe des Amis

Website

Directions

4.6225 Google reviews

Fine Dining Restaurant

Address: หมู่ที่ 10 391/6 Thanon Thap Phraya, Pattaya City, อำเภอ, Chon Buri 20260, Thailand

Hours:

Phone: +66 84 026 4989

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Au Bon Coin

Website

Directions

4.881 Google reviews

French Restaurant

Address: 352/104 Moo 12, Nongprue, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20260, Thailand

Hours:   Opens 6PM

Phone: +66 38 364 542

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

#50 traveller123

traveller123

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

Brunos keep your eyes open on the left if you are on the baht bus going down the hill from the Pratamnak traffic lights in the direction of Jomtien

Cafe des Amis is next door to Sansuk Sauna

Au Bon Coin, as you are coming from Jomtien turn left at Pratamnak traffic lights and turn left again down Soi 6, quite a way down there is a Family Mart or Seven 11 not sure which on your right, walk down that small soi and the restaurant is on your right - keep your eyes open the restaurant sign is old and faded.

When I have been the last two have been busy I would advise making a reservation

#51 paborn

paborn

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

Thanks so much. Not only for the information but for being responsive. Too many times, on other boards, a simple request for information causes a blast of "you can google that!!!!" OMG, I love the simple grace of most people here. Again, thanks

And, for doubters. Google ( and I use a full suite of Google products ) can't give the personal observations of a fellow gay on the ground.

#52 vinapu

vinapu

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:13 AM

Too many times..... a simple request for information causes a blast of "you can google that!!!!"

you are right ! Last night I had conversation with my friend about matters related to his work and one of my  questions was answered ' you can see it on the website I just sent you link to".

My response was swift " if we will be sending people to google we may discover there's no need for personal conversations at all"

He apologized immediately

#53 Jasper

Jasper

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

I used Foodpanda food delivery service for the first time in Bangkok last month and it was great.

I was browsing the app and found my favourite Yawarat street food shop selling Thai sweets which only cost 50B + delivery charge 40B. I received telephone call from hotel receptionist when the delivery man arrived and paid cash.

https://www.foodpanda.co.th/

#54 fedssocr

fedssocr

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:19 AM

Frankly you can get food poisoning almost anywhere. One of the worst cases I ever had was in Taiwan after eating in the restaurant of a high end hotel. The worst case I had in Thailand was on my first ever trip and visit to Pattaya - big mistake eating a late lunch at a deserted restaurant. I was sick all over the beach and ended up spending a night in the hospital.

For me Thai food in Thailand is generally just way too spicy. I don't know how the locals can eat it when it basically just sets your mouth on fire so you can't taste anything. But there are some dishes that I really like - massaman curry for example which is fairly mild.

#55 Jasper

Jasper

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

I cannot take chills like Thais so I always ask ‘ Mai Phet’(not spicy) when I order somtam.
This is my no spicy Somtam Thai at the popular Som Tam Nua restaurant,Siam square.
The restaurant serves reasonably priced delicious Issan food.
They are also famous for fried chickens.

http://www.bangkok.c.../somtam-nua.htm

Attached Files

#56 abidismaili

abidismaili

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

For me Thai food in Thailand is generally just way too spicy. I don't know how the locals can eat it when it basically just sets your mouth on fire so you can't taste anything. But there are some dishes that I really like - massaman curry for example which is fairly mild.

You are referring here to street food or restaurant food?

I only eat Thai food in restaurants in Pattaya and Bangkok and I never have very spicy food. I think they think - since I am farang - that I not like it. I strongly suspect restaurants make the food less spicy for farang customers. Tom Yum soup for me doesnt taste spicy at all. Only little bit. So what food are you referring to? Restaurant food?

#57 spoon

spoon

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:44 PM

The tourist area restaurants usually tune down the spiciness for tourist i supposed. I love my food spicy so i have no issues with thai food, and actually preferred it when im there. There is a good and cheap pad thai place behind silom complex, only 50b for a shrimp padthai and i enjoyed it. They cant speak english at all so i just point out what i want lol.

#58 Nikom

Nikom

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:25 PM

I too like spicy Thai food.  Tell the waiter, a couple of times, that you do NOT want "tourist spicy" but you want "Thai spicy".

One year I am my Thai friend visited NYC and went to a Thai restaurant.  My friend called for the chef to come out and told him the same thing - that we both wanted Thai spicy!

#59 abidismaili

abidismaili

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:38 PM

I too like spicy Thai food.  Tell the waiter, a couple of times, that you do NOT want "tourist spicy" but you want "Thai spicy".

One year I am my Thai friend visited NYC and went to a Thai restaurant.  My friend called for the chef to come out and told him the same thing - that we both wanted Thai spicy!

So that is what I do wrong, I must ask for it to be spicy! But member fedssocr wrote he always get very spicy food while not asking for it (he doesn't even like it). So how to explain that? I tend to eat fried rice, pad thai or tom yum and they are not spicy or only little bit. Sometimes with fried rice I get a side dish with chili's in it and fish sauce (prik nam pla I think its called) to make it spicy.

#60 fedssocr

fedssocr

Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:25 PM

No, not street food. Of course some dishes are not spicy by design. But I like some curry dishes that seem to be overly spicy. And of course various salads are spicy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users